The Gries quarter in Bolzano
An autonomous municipality until 1925, the Gries quarter, with its hotels, villas, parks, gardens and vineyards was a famous health resort in the past. Here you can take the walking paths of Guncina, of great natural interest for their Mediterrenean flora.
Abbey of Benedettini Muri-Gries
Piazza Gries, with the architectural complex of the Abbey of Benedettini di Muri-Gries on the right handside, is right in the middle of the quarter. The monastery, initially hosting Agostinian monks (1406), was damaged by peasant revolts in 1525 and destroyed during the Napoleonic wars. It was suppressed by the Bavarian government in 1807 and donated by the Austrian Emperor to Benedectine Muri Monks (Switzerland) in 1845. The oldest centre is the castle, built by the Morit-Greifenstein Counts in 1200, and whose original 'mastio' (tower) today is the church's bell tower. It hosts one of the heaviest bells in South Tyrol (5,026 kg).
In the baroque-style chiesa abbaziale di Sant'Agostino.
Old parish church of Gries
A little further north of piazza Gries the Vecchia Parrocchiale di Gries (tel. 0471 283089), a late Gothic building, dating back to the early 1400, hosts two stunning treasures: the altar of Michael Pacher (1471-75) and the Romanesque wooden crucifix of 1200. The first one is undoubtedly a masterpiece of Gothic art of the wooden altars with casket and hatch remaining today, while the second one, which probably in relation to north French sculpture is believed to be of foreign origin, is considered of great relevance.
The church stands in an area which was inhabited ever since Roman times. It was called "Keller", or "Chellare" (cellar), and later called "Gries", or sand. Until 1908 the wine farm of Bishop of Frisinga in Baviera stood next to the church.
Monumento & piazza della Vittoria
Monumento and piazza della Vittoria were ordered by the fascist regime within a city expansion plan and in celebration of its italianization, the monument was designed by Marcello Piacentini and inaugurated in 1928. The exterior, interior and the crypt have sculptures by Dazzi, Wildt, Andreotti, Cerodin. The planned expansion of the square towards the river shores was not completed.
BZ '18-'45. One monument, one city, two dictatorships. The exhibition opened to the public in July 2014 illustrates the history of the Monument to Victory.
Corso Libertà & piazza Mazzini
Corso Libertà and piazza Mazzini: the beautiful high street with its tall archade leads to the square hosting the bronze bust of Giuseppe Mazzini. The Gries quarter begins thereafter with the square by the same name. Gries was an autonomous mucipality until 1925, traditionally a health and holiday resort, full of villas, parks, gardens and vineyards. The walking paths of Guncina start here. The old name is "Keller" or chellare (cellar) presumably from the history of wine production; today the area is still the most acclaimed for the Lagrein growing, the local wine by excellence together with the Santa Maddalena.
Piazza Tribunale: the Courts, built in 1939 by architect Paolo Rossi stand opposite the finance buildings, and host a bas-relief by sculptor Hans Piffrader. The fountain of the naiads (1960) is at the centre of the square.